seeking an experienced, dynamic, and ambitious, Research and Development Engineer to join our team and work on system design and development in the application space of Calyo’s 3-D ultrasound sensing technology. The work will span array processing, ultrasound physics, software implementation and interfacing with ROS-enabled autonomous platforms.
The role will include developing and prototyping Calyo technology for specific applications, further development of sensors and working with industry partners on field trials. The candidate will be solving problems and delivering creative solutions within a close-knit technical team.
Listed below are the major responsibilities of the role and a brief description of some of the key tasks to be performed. This list is not exhaustive, and the candidate will be expected to be flexible, and able to work in a small team as well as independently, in a dynamic small-company environment with minimal direction.
This role requires someone that can think beyond the ‘here and now’ and understand how our technology, capability and products can evolve in the future to meet the company and customer’s needs. A proven ability to build and lead a team to deliver a strategy is necessary, coupled with pro-activeness, motivation, and a tenacity to resolve issues when under pressure.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with teams across Calyo to develop novel hardware and software products that advance the state-of-the-art in autonomous mobility sensors
- Collaborate with internal and external research, design, and engineering teams to develop ultrasonic sensing solutions that advance the state-of-the-art
- Work with the team to help design, setup, and run practical experiments related to ultrasonic sensing systems
- Develop and implement robust ultrasound imaging algorithms
- Design and run experiments and software simulations to evaluate the performance of your algorithms
- Optimise algorithms to run in real time
- Document algorithms for implementation in hardware
- Assist in application specific studies to verify and refine the algorithms
- Write up descriptions for patents and academic papers where appropriate
- Assist in business development with preparation and execution of demos or technical presentations
EXPERIENCE & SKILL SET
As a minimum requirement, you should bring the following skills and experiences:
- A strong algorithmic background with a supporting university degree (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- Experience delivering complex software projects
- 3+ years of experience in design and development of sensing systems (e.g. sonar, radar, or LiDAR) for remote sensing and 3-D imaging
- Extensive experience with Linux operating systems and ROS/ROS2 navigation stack
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C++ in embedded systems
- Demonstrated experience with imaging modalities (e.g. ultrasound, millimetre-wave), beam forming, and/or 3-D image reconstruction techniques
- Familiarity with signal processing techniques, signal-to-noise ratio analysis
- Hands-on experience in bring-up, debug, and testing of sensing systems using laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes and spectrum/network analysers
- Knowledge of agile practices
- Independent, self-motivated, and flexible with a can-do attitude
- Proactive, entrepreneurial, and innovative business mind-set with energy and drive to succeed
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organised and with a drive to follow-through projects to successful outcome
- Demonstrated interpersonal experience in cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present to customers
- A team player who uses initiative, is enthusiastic and engaging
Ideally, you may also have these skills/experiences/attributes:
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field with a background in ultrasonic sensing systems
- Experience working within a start-up environment, ideally within research and development, technology or science
- Experience in scripting languages such as MATLAB or Python
- Experience in implementing multi-modal sensor fusion and modern Machine Learning algorithms on sensor systems
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by patents or first-authored publications
- High levels of creativity and quick problem-solving skills
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with senior executives
- Experience of bid processes and developing high quality bid submission documents
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required
We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to an aspiring well-funded high-tech start-up. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- Opportunity to actively shape your role and bring your own ideas to the table
- A nurturing environment where we care for your personal and professional growth
- Competitive salaried compensation – we value our employees and show it
- Equity – every employee is a stakeholder in Calyo’s success
- The position is based in Bristol, UK
Calyo is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law. All candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK.
How to apply
Send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Both should be tailored to the role and together should explain your interest in the vacancy and why you would be a suitable candidate. Please include demonstrative examples of how you meet the essential criteria in your reply.