Senior Software / Robotics Engineer, Ultrasound
Posted on Jun 29, 2021 in Job Opportunities in Acoustics
Closing date for applications: 25 July 2021
Calyo is developing the next generation AI-enabled perception system that offers unprecedented combination of high performance, flexibility and low cost for smart mobile robots and autonomous vehicles.
About the job
We are seeking a talented, driven and hands-on senior software/robotics development engineer to join our team and develop software modules for different areas of application (e.g. automotive, drones, robotics, etc.) for Calyo in-air 3D ultrasound sensing technology.
This is a role where the candidate will be responsible for contributing to the technical software development and integration with Calyo system architecture. The ideal candidate is passionate about building rock-solid software that unlocks the performance of real-time imaging using ultrasound and other data-intensive technologies. The successful candidate will be a member of the technical team and will report directly to the CEO.
Listed below are the major responsibilities of the role and a brief description of some of the key tasks to be performed. This list is not exhaustive, and the candidate will be expected to be flexible towards working in a hands-on, small-team environment to develop the system.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Calyo’s transducer array models with software development. This will require the construction of a back- and front-end software suite to make the system efficient for real-time imaging, as well as integration with the Robotic Operating System framework.
- Ultrasound platform hardware and software development. You will be required to contribute to the technical team effort to deliver an ultrasound hardware device platform capable of performing 3D imaging, suitable for SLAM (simultaneous localisation and mapping) and complex control tasks such as autonomous navigation.
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for developing the back- and front-end software platform that powers Calyo’s ultrasound-based vision system
- Deliver key tools and systems that bridge the gap between many technical domains
- Support hardware bringup by utilising modern debugging techniques and tools
- Work with engineers within the technical team to drive iteration of ultrasound methods, define algorithm specifications, and rigorously validate ultrasound algorithms
- Research and implement signal processing methods to increase sensor performance and stability
- Run wave propagation and imaging simulations to evaluate Calyo’s sensor array design performance
- Perform experiments for, process and analyse the data from, and document and report on the results of testing internally
- Participate actively in team resource and project planning discussions
- Help to formulate software test cases and test plans to support software validation
- Propose and conduct experiments to evaluate and validate system performance
- Partner within the technical teams to advance next generation devices and software architecture
EXPERIENCE & SKILL SET
As a minimum requirement, you should bring the following skills and experiences:
- Strong technical background. Educated to MSc or above in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field with 3+ years of industry or academic experience in ultrasound technology, phased arrays devices, 3D imaging or related field, and 5+ years of experience creating and testing complex software intensive systems. You must have strong programming skills in one or more programming and scripting languages (e.g. Python, C++, MATLAB). Knowledge of embedded firmware, digital filtering and FPGA VHDL coding is a big plus.
- Solid signal processing knowledge and data presentation skills. You have a deep understanding of ultrasonic transducer physics and array signal processing techniques. You have experience with ultrasonic image reconstruction and beamforming methods.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines. Strong analytical skills and a passion for technology are also expected. You are a self-starter and used to working in small businesses.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in the earlier stages of developing an algorithm from scratch. You are familiar with software version control tools like Git. Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills are a must.
- Hands on. You are passionate about solving real-world robotics problems, and you have ideally worked on robots and autonomous systems before.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation.
Ideally, you may also have these skills/experiences/attributes:
- Project leadership skills, with the ability to coordinate the activities of colleagues
- Software skills, ideally in the areas of GPU/Cuda programming
- Knowledge of embedded software and FPGA firmware development
- Basic knowledge of electrical analogue and digital circuits
- Understanding of beamforming, diffraction, synthetic aperture fundamentals
- Expertise in signal processing algorithms (filtering, down-conversion, envelope extraction, etc.)
- Working understanding of ultrasound imaging systems and experience in testing them
- You have hands-on experience in the development of electroacoustic test setups and methods, including instrument control and data post processing
We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to an aspiring high-tech start-up. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- Opportunity to actively shape your role and bring your own ideas to the table
- A nurturing environment where we care for your personal and professional growth
- Competitive salaried compensation – we value our employees and show it
- Equity – every employee is a stakeholder in Calyo’s success
- The position is based in Bristol, U.K.
Calyo is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
How to apply
Apply via the link above, or send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. The latter should be tailored to the role and together should explain your interest in the vacancy and why you would be a suitable candidate. Please include demonstrative examples of how you meet the essential criteria in your reply.