The Cambridge University-Nanjing Centre of Technology and Innovation is looking for a highly skilled and motivated postdoctoral research fellow to develop and implement novel ultrasound beamforming and signal processing techniques with applications in medical imaging.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Richard Prager FREng and Dr Nghia Nguyen (University of Cambridge), and in close collaboration with the University of Cambridge, Nanjing University and Southeast University. Candidates must have a PhD or equivalent in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or a related discipline. They will have experience in medical imaging (preferably ultrasonics), signal/image processing, and in scientific software development. The post is based at the Centre’s new facility in Nanjing’s Jiangbei New Area, with occasional visits to University of Cambridge in the UK, Nanjing and Southeast Universities, hospitals and industrial collaborators in China as necessary for the efficient conduct of the research.
The project is aligned with the development of the health and medical industry, and will be conducted at Nanjing’s industrial park in the Jiangbei New Area. It focuses on developing new algorithms to enhance the performance of medical ultrasound systems, implementing and testing on commercial products. The successful candidate will work with the newest ultrasound open platform, designed for the ultrasound research community. It has an ability to control the transmit beamshape, access without any limitation to the low level data, and implement the new algorithms to generate anatomical/functional images in real-time.
The project is led by Professor Richard Prager of the University of Cambridge. It draws on the expertise of his Medical Imaging group at Cambridge, and through collaborations with Nanjing and Southeast Universities, with the goal of conducting innovative research at international levels. Informal enquiries should be directed to Dr Nghia Nguyen, email: email@example.com
- Develop new Beamforming and Image Processing algorithms to improve ultrasound image resolution, increase frame-rate, and enhance the overall performance of ultrasonic imaging systems.
- Implement and test the new algorithms on commercial products, in collaboration with local companiesin Nanjing.
- Develop segmentation and registration between 3-D ultrasound and other imaging modalities such as X-ray CT, and MRI.
- Produce high quality papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentation at international conferences.
- PhD or equivalent degree in one of the following fields: Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Good publication track record in the field of medical imaging, including being the first author of at least one paper in an international journal (written in English).
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Excellent knowledge of signal processing and its principal applications.
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin with excellent writing and communication skills.
- Experience in ultrasonic imaging, knowledge of color and power Doppler imaging will be advantages.
- Experience with machine learning/deep learning.
- Proficient skills in C/C++, Python, MATLAB, and other relevant languages.
- During the work period, the Fellow may visit the University of Cambridge occasionally, where this is necessary for the efficient conduct of the research work.
- The Fellow will be provided an opportunity to be affiliated with Nanjing University or Southeast University at the beginning of the appointment, and will be received a certificate from the university at the end of the appointment under good terms.
- The Fellow will be also encouraged to develop new research initiatives; she/he will receive support from the Centre to write grant applications and secure funding to develop her/his own research group, either at the Centre or other universities beyond this appointment.
- The Fellow will receive assistance in applying for various talent policies in Nanjing and Jiangbei New Area through multiple channels, and may apply for the talent settlement policy.
- Meal subsidy, traditional festival benefits, birthday benefits.
The Cambridge University-Nanjing Centre of Technology and Innovation supports business incubation and innovation platform construction based on the value of the results and the application of industrialization after the project is completed and the application results are produced. It will continue to deepen further scientific research and exploration in this field and generate new research areas.
The Cambridge University-Nanjing Centre of Technology and Innovation warmly welcomes talented individuals who are willing to continuously update their professional and technical knowledge and engage in continuous professional development.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a covering letter and CV ( in English and Chinese, in PDF format), along with other relevant certification materials that can prove your personal ability, by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Applcation for Ultrasound Imaging project + Research Fellow position”.