UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Speech and Language Technologies (SLT) and their Applications
Eligible for Home fees status? Apply for Cohort 4 (starting in September 2022) immediately!
Speech and Language Technologies (SLTs) are a range of Artificial Intelligence (AI) approaches which allow computer programs or devices to analyse, produce, modify or respond to spoken and written language. SLTs are underpinned by a number of fundamental research fields including acoustics, signal processing, speech processing, natural language processing (NLP / NLProc), computational linguistics, mathematics, machine learning, physics, psychology, and computer science. SLTs are now established as core scientific/engineering disciplines within AI and have grown into a world-wide multi-billion dollar industry.
Located in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Sheffield – a world leading research institution in the SLT field – the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Speech and Language Technologies and their Applications is a vibrant research centre that also provides training in engineering skills, leadership, ethics, innovation, entrepreneurship, and responsibility to society.
Why not join us and push the boundaries of modern computational natural language processing and speech processing research?
The SLT CDT offers you the following benefits:
- Four-year fully-funded studentship covering all fees, an enhanced stipend (£17,000 pa).
- Laptop and dedicated desk in the CDT workspace equipped with external monitors, headset, keyboard and mouse.
- Generous personal allowance for research-related travel, conference attendance, specialist equipment, etc.
- Full-time PhD with Integrated Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) incorporating 6 months of foundational SLT training prior to starting your research project.
- Bespoke cohort-based training programme running over the entire four years providing the necessary skills for academic and industrial leadership in the field.
- Every PhD project underpinned by a real-world application, many supported by industry partners.
- Dedicated workspace purely for CDT students within a collaborative and inclusive research environment hosted by the Department of Computer Science.
- Work and live in Sheffield – a cultural centre on the edge of the Peak District National Park which is in the top 10 most affordable UK university cities.
We are looking for students from a wide range of backgrounds who have a passion for speech and language / NLP.
- High-quality (ideally first class) undergraduate or masters (ideally distinction) degree. Suitable backgrounds include (but are not limited to) computer science/software engineering; electrical engineering; control engineering; informatics; AI; speech and language processing; mathematics; physics; linguistics; cognitive science; and general engineering.
- Regardless of background, you must be able to demonstrate strong mathematical aptitude (minimally to A-Level standard or equivalent) and good experience of programming.
- We particularly encourage applications from groups that are underrepresented in technology.
- You must satisfy UKRI’s eligibility criteria for ‘home’ students. Full details can be found on our website.
Applications for the September 2022 intake should be submitted immediately and will be reviewed on a first come first served basis. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview via videoconference.
See our website for full details and guidance on how to apply: slt-cdt.ac.uk
For an informal discussion about your application please contact us by email at: email@example.com
By contacting firstname.lastname@example.org you consent to being contacted by the University of Sheffield in relation to the CDT. You are free to withdraw your permission in writing at any time.