At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We are proud to be authentic, different and pioneers. We are driven by a desire to solve real problems and improve everyday lives with intuitive solutions that do more but use less. Family owned, we are not restricted by conventional thinking; we explore, discover and learn for ourselves. Never satisfied, we believe everything can always be made better.
About the role
As a Senior Aeroacoustics Research Engineer, you will be part of the Aero-Acoustic Research Team, working in a creative environment surrounded by experts in the field of fluid dynamics, turbomachinery, and acoustics with the aim of exploring and integrating new aerodynamic technology. Working alongside the New Product Innovation team, you will analyse and design air flow systems of early-stage new concepts to develop and deliver the next generation of Dyson products to a global market.
Working on the next generation of Dyson fans, heaters, air purifiers, hair stylers and new product concepts, you will independently execute aerodynamic and aeroacoustic work packages. This includes performing design, test, and analysis tasks, and exploring new technologies and techniques that push the boundaries of Dyson product performance.
- Fundamental research into aero-acoustic concepts related to quieter/more efficient products.
- Design and optimise air flow systems for novel products considering, component aerodynamic and aeroacoustic performance, system integration opportunities and readiness for mass manufacture.
- Generate imaginative, innovative, and pioneering technology and product ideas, in line with core Dyson values and help to secure IP.
- Develop new design and experimental methodologies related to aerodynamics and aeroacoustics.
- Explore and introduce the latest aeroacoustic (1D, 2D, LBM, LES) simulation techniques to the Dyson product design process.
- Conduct CFD simulations to analyse and enhance product development.
- Develop accurate, in depth, experimental techniques to verify performance and to investigate relevant details of the flow field.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of expert knowledge and technology into future product range.
- Summarise findings and communicate to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors and James Dyson.
- A strong degree in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering (other relevant engineering or scientific disciplines will be considered). A relevant higher degree is desirable.
- A proven track record of innovation and technical excellence.
- Excellent knowledge of numerical modelling and simulation tools (Fluent, CFX, Powerflow, Comsol, SimScale etc.) for complex industrial applications.
- Expert knowledge of aeroacoustic simulation and analysis.
- Experience in the design and prototyping of aerodynamic test rigs would be an advantage. Particularly, experience in the experimental characterization of aerodynamic and aeroacoustic components such as wind tunnel testing, hot wire anemometry, PIV or sound measurement in anechoic chamber would be an advantage.
- Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge of LabView, Matlab, and Python (or alternative coding languages) would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of explicit dynamics and vibro-acoustic simulation, analysis, and experimental methodologies would be an advantage.
- Excellent team-working skills, particularly with cross-disciplinary colleagues.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.