King's College London
Full Time Permanent
£61,723 to £68,946 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance
Closing DateMore info
8 May 2023
Location: Strand Building, Strand Campus
Contact details: Professor Barbara Shollock, email@example.com
As part of the growth of the Department of Engineering, we are seeking applications for the appointment of a Reader in Engineering.
We are creating a vibrant Department that looks to lead innovation in education and research at one of the world’s leading universities. To support our ambition, King’s is investing in new multi-million-pound teaching and research laboratories of more than 3000 sqm for the Department at heart of its Strand campus, which opened in August 2022. We celebrate diversity[A1] and actively promote an inclusive environment and encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
In moving our ambitions forward, we are continuing to appoint academics to join us in shaping the future of education and research for King’s Engineering.
We are developing a strong research profile with activities in mechatronics, sensors, signal and information processing, electronics, thermofluids, energy, materials, and telecommunications. As we are looking to expand our activities, we are seeking candidates with research and/or experience in experimental/computational micromechanics, solid mechanics or structures; hierarchical structures and nature-inspired engineering, thermofluids (heat transfer) and immersive audio technologies. We welcome candidates whose research in these areas supports engineering for resilience, security, and sustainability.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Undertake a self-directed programme of research and scholarship at a level commensurate with the current international standard for the level of appointment
- Enhance the research profile of the Department through academic outputs, including publications and scientific meetings, scholarship, academic and industrial collaboration and other externally facing activities
- Supervise and train postgraduate students and postdoctoral research staff to ensure their effective development
- Enthusiastically contribute to academic management and support the administration and development of the department to further its education, research activities, and ambitions.
- Deliver an excellent student experience through innovative teaching and assessment methods for both undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes, in core engineering and an area of engineering specialism
- Be responsible for the wellbeing and pastoral care of students, including acting as Personal Tutor
- Engage with and contribute to department, faculty, and institutional level initiatives in accordance with strategy at all levels of the organisation
- Actively promote and participate in equality and diversity and collegiality
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.