The Department of Electronic Engineering at the University of York has an international reputation for excellence in research and teaching. In line with the Department’s long-term plans for expansion we seek to appoint an outstanding academic to build upon and expand existing strengths in Audio Systems Engineering, contributing to the research, teaching and administration of this discipline. As a department we strive to provide a working environment which allows all staff and students to contribute fully, to flourish, and to excel. We are proud of our Athena SWAN Bronze Award.
You will have evidence of developing an international research record and should possess a clear research vision across the area of Audio Systems Engineering. We particularly welcome applications from candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas: Machine learning for audio/acoustics; real-time interactive audio system design (e.g. VR/AR, game audio); high performance computing and audio; numerical acoustic simulation; perception of sound reproduction systems; environmental soundscape; immersive sound for virtual production workflows. An established track record in partnership, collaboration, knowledge exchange and/or managing technology translation would be an advantage.
You will contribute to the Department’s growing research reputation in this area, including supporting impact activities, in addition to designing, developing, and delivering undergraduate and postgraduate teaching across a range of related subjects. Specifically, you will:
- Individually and collaboratively develop research projects and proposals, contributing to the production of research outputs, outcomes and impact;
- Publish original research in appropriate journals or other relevant media as appropriate and attend international conferences for the purpose of disseminating research results or for personal development;
- Design, develop and deliver teaching across a wide range of modules and within a particular programme or subject area;
- Supervise PhD students;
- Undertake, effectively, a range of administrative and managerial responsibilities.
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
Key requirements for the post are:
- PhD in Audio/Acoustic Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or Music Technology, or equivalent experience.
- Expertise in Audio Systems Engineering.
- Proven ability to contribute to high quality research which is publicly evidenced.
- Experience of wider practical work in the fields of audio and music technology.
For an informal discussion regarding this post, please contact the Head of Department, Prof Andy Tyrrell (email@example.com) or Simone Quinn (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you would like to learn about working in the Department of Electronic Engineering at York.