Embedded Software and FPGA Development Engineer
Posted on Jun 29, 2021 in Job Opportunities in Acoustics
Closing date for applications: 25 July 2021
Calyo is developing the next generation AI-enabled perception system that offers unprecedented combination of high performance, flexibility and low cost for smart mobile robots and autonomous vehicles. We are seeking an exceptional, dynamic and ambitious FPGA development / Embedded Software engineer to join our team and develop embedded systems and FPGA ultrasound technology.
Listed below are the major responsibilities of the role and a brief description of some of the key tasks to be performed. This list is not exhaustive, and the candidate will be expected to be flexible towards working in a hands-on, small-team environment to develop the systems.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Calyo system prototyping, validation, testing, PoC and component performance. This will require the construction of a support structure for a set of ultrasonic sensors (transmitters/receivers), as well as the circuitry necessary for signal amplification and analogue to digital conversion to interface with a digitizer (e.g. FPGA microcontroller) and a back-end system.
- Ultrasound platform hardware and software development. You will be required to contribute to the technical team effort to deliver an ultrasound hardware device platform capable of performing 3D imaging, suitable for SLAM (simultaneous localisation and mapping) and complex control tasks such as autonomous navigation.
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for the design, test and characterisation of system architectures (e.g. FPGA-SoC)
- Establish and extend our system architectures, and define and integrate communication interfaces and protocols
- Design, implement, and debug analogue and digital circuits to support a variety of sensors
- Always be one step ahead by researching relevant hardware topics, e.g. μC, hardware components etc. to keep our technology at the forefront of innovation
- Perform experiments for, process and analyse the data from, and document and report on the results of internal testing
- Participate actively in team resource and project planning discussions
- Help to formulate software test cases and test plans to support software validation
- Propose and conduct experiments to evaluate and validate system performance
- Manage relationships with suppliers and external partners
EXPERIENCE & SKILL SET
As a minimum requirement, you should bring the following skills and experiences:
- Strong technical background. BSc or MSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent with minimum 3 years Software and FPGA development experience. You have deep understanding of the system development processes. You have proven experience with complex FPGA designs using Xilinx and/or Altera parts and toolchains. You have experience with PCIe protocol, standard and custom high-speed serial interfaces. Knowledge of Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Graphical Processing Units (GPUs), microcontrollers, microprocessors, is highly desirable. Ideally you have experience with embedded processors, DDRx and USB interfaces and advanced knowledge of verification technologies and tools.
- Broad embedded engineering knowledge. You are a skilled PCB designer and know how to take hardware from design through bring-up to production. Knowledge of embedded software and FPGA firmware development. You have deep knowledge of embedded software and FPGA development lifecycle. You are also familiar with hands-on debugging tools and techniques. Knowledge on embedded coding such as MCU and/or ARM processor is a big plus.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines. Strong analytical skills and a passion for technology are also expected. You are a self-starter and used to working in small businesses.
- Proven ability to build and iterate quickly. You have experienced product development in all of its stages and are comfortable in the earlier stages – moving from zero to one.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable with a soldering iron as with a keyboard.
- Great communicator. Experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines, and your communication style facilitates that.
Ideally, you may also have these skills/experiences/attributes:
- Project leadership skills, with the ability to coordinate the activities of colleagues
- Deep knowledge of embedded firmware, digital filtering and FPGA VHDL coding
- Experience working with ultrasound sensors, in particular phased arrays
- Experience with oscilloscopes and signal generators
- Experience in electronic design and miniaturisation
- Knowledge of highly integrated ultrasonic transducer driver systems, signal conditioning, and advanced digital signal processing cores
- Proficiency in C/C++ or similar and/or a scripting language (MATLAB/Python)
- Experience in collaborative software development (Git)
- Strong desire to learn and adapt to new technologies and challenges
We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to an aspiring well-funded high-tech start-up. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- Opportunity to actively shape your role and bring your own ideas to the table
- A nurturing environment where we care for your personal and professional growth
- Competitive salaried compensation – we value our employees and show it
- Equity – every employee is a stakeholder in Calyo’s success
- The position is based in Bristol, U.K.
Calyo is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
How to apply
Send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply within. Both should be tailored to the role and together should explain your interest in the vacancy and why you would be a suitable candidate. Please include demonstrative examples of how you meet the essential criteria in your reply.