Virtual workshop – Maximizing Impact and Reproducibility of Acoustic Modelling Software
- Jul 13, 2020
- Morning — Afternoon
- Webinar via Zoom
Software is a common & valuable research output for researchers working in the fields of Mathematical and Computational Acoustics. Producing it well, and making it public, can have a significant positive effect on the number of citations and the level of impact your work achieves.
It is also becoming increasingly recognised by funding bodies. UKRI’s impact criterion includes that “activities should be undertaken that work with beneficiaries to shorten the time between discovery and use of knowledge” – a requirement that well-produced software fulfills.
To help all researchers improve their knowledge and practices in this area, the Computational Acoustics and the Mathematical Acoustics Special Interest Groups of the UK Acoustics Network are coming together with the Sustainable Software Institute and V-KEMS to offer this one-day workshop.
It’s aims are to:
- Celebrate existing best practice from academics who champion open source
- Discover the needs of industry, and what software tools benefit them most
- Learn about the national strategy from the EPSRC and the SSI
- Scope out the support necessary to grow a new ‘Community of Best Practice’
Format of the Workshop
- The workshop will bring participants together virtually using ZOOM teleconferencing and online collaboration tools.
- It will be a one-day event, with morning & afternoon sessions separated by a lunch break
- The morning session will be predominately webinars, with presentations from academia and industry
- The afternoon session will include breakout sessions, where the needs of the community & potential for support and collaboration will be discussed
- Confirmed speakers include:
- Prof Timo Betcke (http://bempp.com/)
- Prof Christophe Geuzaine (https://gmsh.info/)
- Prof Michael Vorländer (http://www.virtualacoustics.org/)
- Dr Chris Richardson (https://fenicsproject.org/)
- Dr Craig Warren (http://www.gprmax.com/)
- Prof Gregor Tanner (http://www.wamoresearch.org/)
- Dr Shoaib Sufi (https://www.software.ac.uk/)
- Sarah King (https://epsrc.ukri.org)
Find out more or get involved
You can register as a participant at https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/AcouMod/
If you have questions or feel you have an experience it would be worth sharing, please contact email@example.com.